Host Family Check List 2
Host Family Check List (2)
2. Expectations: What expectations/worries do you have about being a host family?
2. Expectations: Answer Feedback
- Many of the worries that host families have before the homestay turned out to be less problematic than they thought. At one study abroad center, host families surveyed before and after they hosted exchange students listed their worries and rated them on a scale of 1-5. It turned out that each of the items ended up being less worrisome in the actual homestay than the families had anticipated before the homestay.
- Host families were often surprised by events in the homestay they had not anticipated. Many learned things about themselves and experienced benefits that they had not foreseen.
- Some families encountered difficulties they hadn’t anticipated during the homestay. But these difficulties themselves often produced positive learning situations, where each side realized something important about the other. Thus to the extent that the families were able to respond to the challenges successfully, they became learning opportunities. (See Part 3 for case narratives of some of these experiences).